Date: 8/28/17 5:58 pm
From: 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Recap of Saturday's pelagic trip
Hello all,

We started the day off with fog on Saturday, had bright sunshine
offshore and came back to the fog at the coast. It was an odd day, with
activity building through the morning, particularly as we arrived on some
offshore canyons. But then later on in the afternoon, as we headed south and
back in shore there were few birds except for a nice end to the trip with
thousands of wheeling Sooty Shearwaters right in Half Moon Bay. Within San
Francisco county we found a good diversity of the expected species:
Black-footed Albatross, Sooty and Pink-footed shearwaters, Common Murres,
Cassin's and Rhinoceros Auklet, Red-necked and Red phalaropes. We also found
several Northern Fulmars, a few Sabine's Gulls and Buller's Shearwater. When
we reached the continental shelf we did find a nice little concentration of
Ashy Storm-Petrel, and in there we did find a few SF Wilson's Storm-Petrel,
as well as a Scripps's Murrelet which unfortunately flew off right at the
point that we spotted it. Red Phalaropes have increased offshore, and still
we have not seen a big move of jaegers. We did find Pomarine as well as a
few Arctic Terns out there.

It was a trip with good diversity (species count), but low numbers on
some. It is always fun to find groups of storm petrels out there of course.
Scripps's Murrelet and Wilson's Storm-Petrels were our most unusual birds
for SF I would say. It was fun to be out with many SF birders, and visiting
folks from as far away as Europe and the east of the continent. The SF
pelagic is almost like an annual reunion! I am always happy to be a part of
it.

Good birding,

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo