Date: 8/28/17 5:42 pm
From: Deb Hale <debhale72...>
Subject: More Swifts
Walking home from an evening town meeting this evening, I had another Swift
encounter.

Perhaps two hundred or so Chimney Swifts were swirling in a mob just a few
doors down from my house. I stopped and watched while several dipped down
into my neighbor's chimney. Plunk! Another and another dropped in while
the rest of the swift crowd swooped in circles in the sky. A kid passing
on a bike commented on the bats. I told him they were birds flocking in
migration and spending the night in this dude's chimney all pressed in
together. He was impressed.

The chimney owner just happened to be out on his back patio with a few
friends enjoying the evening air. He'd been thinking the swifts were
checking into the United Methodist church chimney next door. But we stood
together witnessing otherwise: it was his hospitality they've been
enjoying. Makes sense. He makes the best pound cake this side of the
Kanawha River, and the best strawberry jam.

Deb Hale
Harpers Ferry/Bolivar

Join us on Facebook!