Date: 8/28/17 5:10 pm
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: Common Nighthawks and other Preston Co. Miscellanea
Hi all,

Tried to send this out last night, but it didn't go through for some
reason. Given the abundance of American Golden-Plover and other grass piper
reports coming in from nearby states, I made my usual Golden-Plover loop
through Preston County to see if I could find one, or my long hoped for
state Buff-breasted. But shorebirds were in short supply everywhere I
looked. A couple of Pectoral Sandpipers north of Brandonville along 26 and
1 at the WVU Reedsville farm were the best sightings for shorebirds. It
seems a few weeks early for them to pass through, at least to me, but
things seem to be moving early this year.

As for migrants, I had an Olive-sided Flycatcher at Cranesville Swamp, a
Wilson's Warbler along Feather Road, and smart looking Blackburnian at Rehe
WMA. The highlight for me though was a nice stream of 97 Common Nighthawks
headed south during my time at Cranesville Swamp. I think that is the most
I have seen in one sitting in WV. Very cool.

Seems like there are lots of instances of early-ish migrants being
reported, not just here but widespread across the country. So keep your
eyes open. Kirtland's should be moving soon. Haven't heard of any big
movements of Broad-winged's yet but vagrant Swallow-tailed Kites are
popping up nearby. Keep your eyes and ears sharp, last night was another
decent one for listening for nocturnal migrants if you are so inclined.
Things are picking up. Best wishes.

Good birding,
Derek

Join us on Facebook!