Date: 8/28/17 4:33 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden, Both Technys & Air Station Prairie Monday 8-28-17
Hello Bird People,

Back to local birding after 2 days of more distant birding. I try &
balance out where I go birding.

Old Business

On Sunday (8-27) I was with the field trip group with Walter M as
leader that visited the Calumet area MSD sewage ponds & Burnham
Prairie. Since he posted earlier I did not do a report but I had 10
species of shorebirds missing the Snipe that some saw.

Bird-Of-The-Day for 8-27 goes to the well seen adult SORA on a mud
edge at the sewage ponds.
Runners-Up to the 2 Greater Yellowlegs with 1 each seen &/or heard at
both locations.

New Business

Looked for shorebirds at 4 local inland wetlands & once again found
plenty of shorebirds but nothing out of the ordinary. I keep thinking
something special will show up but not yet & maybe not at all.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:30-9 a.m.)

Large waders were Great Blues (3), Great Egret (1) & Black Crowned
Night Heron (1-IM)
Shorebirds were Killdeer (14), Semipalmated Plover (2), Lesser
Yellowlegs (1), Solitary (3),
Spotted (2), Least (1), Semipalmated (2) & Pectoral (2) Sandpipers
Also Wilson's Snipe (2) which I seldom see here.
Flying by were D.C. Cormorant (1), Herring Gull (1), Chimney Swifts,
Barn Swallows & a Kingfisher.
Interesting land birds included Ruby Throated Hummer (1-F) & a
Baltimore Oriole which I have not seen for a while.

Techny Basin North (9:35-10:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (the usual 2)
Great Blues (4), Great Egret (1) & Black Crowned Night Heron (1-AD)
Killdeer (16), Semipalmated Plover (1) & Lesser Yellowlegs (6)
Solitary (3), Spotted (2), Least (18), Semipalmated (23) & Pectoral
(2) Sandpipers
Regulars included both Red Tailed Hawks, the single Canada Goose, Wood
Ducks & Mallards
Flying by were Ring Billed Gull (1), Chimney Swifts, a Kingfisher &
Barn Swallows

Techny Basin South (10:40-11:35 a.m.)

On or in the "pond" (which is really just a widened part of the stream) were
Great Blues (3), Mallards (21) & Blue Winged Teal (4)
Killdeer (1), Lesser Yellowlegs (1), Solitary (5), Least (3),
Semipalmated (1) & Pectoral (5) Sandpipers but those birds kept
arriving & leaving so who knows what else was there?
Also 2 Eastern Kingbirds & 1 Kingfisher

Along the stream were more Great Blues (2) & Mallards (25) plus 1 Great Egret
Also more Killdeer (2) & Solitary Sandpipers (2) plus 1 Spotted Sandpiper
And more hunting Chimney Swifts & Barn Swallows

Air Station Prairie (11:55 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)

Here the water is fast sinking in & we are in need of more rain or the
shallow water will be gone.
Perhaps the coming rain will save the day here?

Both the east & west ponds had Killdeer (6), Lesser Yellowlegs (13),
Solitary (11), Least (11),
Semipalmated (6) & Pectoral (4) Sandpipers.
Highlight here was an adult SORA along the edge of the west pond which
is best viewed from the sidewalk by the street where the shorebird
area can be seen better than from the building viewing location. The
other highlight here was my 1st Fall warbler, a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH
on the mud by the east pond. And there are still 4 members of the
Eastern Kingbird family at the east pond.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Northern Waterthrush which I saw even though I
have yet to actually look for warblers. Runners-Up to the the Sora &
the R.T. Hummer.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County once again

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>