Date: 8/28/17 2:40 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Near record-eary Blackpoll Warbler in Ritchie County; Red-headed Woodpeckers
I made a spur of the moment decision this morning to go birding near North
Bend State Park in Ritchie County. I had wanted to go to Ritchie Mines
Wildlife Management Area south of the park, but I encountered mud-bog
conditions on both old roads that I tried, so I gave up.

Earlier I checked out the RED-HEADED WOODPECKER colony at Eldon Haught
Lakeside Recreation Area. There were 4 groups of 3-4 birds plus a few
single birds. I counted 13 adults and 6 juveniles. Many were calling
frequently.

Also of note there:

Double-crested Cormorant--2 immatures. A fisherman told me they'd been
there for quite a while.
Great Blue Heron--1
Killdeer--6
Mourning Dove--35
Yellow-billed Cuckoo--1 heard
Belted Kingfisher--2
Warbling Vireo--1 singing
Baltimore Oriole--1 adult male

Complete checklist at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38875022.

After lunch I hiked the part of the North Bend Rail Trail from Cairo
eastward about a mile and a half to the farm just after the second bridge.

BLACKPOLL WARBLER--1 near record-early bird. I note in eBird that Aug. 27
is the earliest August date for fall migrants of this species in WV, and in
fact David Daniels reported a bird of this species yesterday (the 27th) in
Preston County. A couple of birds were reported on Aug. 25 this year in
southern Indiana and near Columbus, OH, and another was seen in northern
Delaware on the 27th, so they are starting to show up.

Also of note along the rail trail:

Small falcon species--1 flyover barely seen through the trees. No rustiness
was evident, so it may have been a Merlin.
Yellow-throated Vireo--1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher--2
Black-and-White Warbler--1
Chestnut-sided Warbler--1