Date: 8/28/17 1:12 pm
From: Christopher Cudworth <cudworthfix...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Goldfinches/August breeding question
Hello IBETers.

We have no less than six goldfinches pigging out on our thistle sock
feeder. These are all full summer plumage males and females.

Here's the question I have. It was my impression these birds tended to mate
and nest in late summer, with August a month for breeding thanks to thistle
down and plenty of bugs to feed the young.

However, these birds are spending virtually all their time glomming down
seed. They don't seem to be concerned with nesting at all.

Yet when fall comes, there are the goldfinch nests in the shade trees of
our cul-de-sac.

So what's your take on goldfinch responsiblities? Are these just crappy
parents who don't care about their young? (ha ha ha) Or do they typically
breed earlier than this. Because I know come October their plumage often
shifts quickly.

--
Christopher Cudworth
3C Creative Marketing