Date: 8/28/17 10:26 am
From: 'Robert Lindsay' <capnbob...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Tough Goleta morning
Monday, 8/28, 8-10 am

Started at the Goleta Sewage Treatment Plant. Saw what I think was a Solitary Sandpiper that got chased away by an employee before I could get a definitive look. Taller, more slender, and longer-billed than the Spotted Sandpipers nearby. Mottled head and neck, pale underside. Not one of the common, local species so I'm guessing Solitary as they have been around of late.

Went to Lake Los Carneros next. Saw two Empidonax flycatchers that were not Pacific Slope. One had almost no tail and the other was a brief glimpse. The bird I saw closely had no yellow on underside, a solid brown bill, two white wingbars, and a white crescent behind the eye. Definitely not a peewee or kinglet. Wish I knew this group better. Other birds of note included the two swan seen here lately, a Virginia Rail (heard only), a White-tailed Kite, three species of swallow (Barn, Cliff, Northern Rough-winged), and a Clark's Grebe near the dam offering very nice, close looks. If anyone wishes to see this Aechmophorus grebe to distinguish it from western, this is a good specimen fairly easy to see close up.

Rob Lindsay

Join us on Facebook!