Date: 8/28/17 9:02 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (27 Aug 2017) 1 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 1 6 6

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 12 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Janny Sterrett, Kathleen Pileggi, Rodger Bovenkerk,
Tim Sterrett

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (17): Kristi Given, Elaine Kirk, Ellen Scavia, Carl Mease,
Jean-Marie Gauthier, Lana Glass, Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Gardner, Josh Auld,
Susan Huffington, Sheila Martin, Sebrina Boekell, Tim & Janny Sterrett,
Rodger Bovenkirk, Tom Brokaw.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Cloudy (10-50% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30-19K ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 59 - 78F, Winds NE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (50) and
Turkey Vultures (45).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Great Warblers? Calls for Great Soup!”---

The regular walk was first this fine morning. It began well with a
splendid Redstart cavorting with two Phoebes, while Pileated Woodpeckers
echoed responses to each other. The night flight must have been great, as
nine of us were on the walk finding warblers everywhere. Many migrants
remained unseen in the lush foliage, but of those we were able to glimpse
were Chestnut-sided, Prairie, Black-and-white, Blackpoll, Northern Parula,
Tennessee, Cape May, American Redstart, Magnolia, and Canadas. Several
Blue Grosbeaks and Bobolinks were seen and heard. A calling White-eyed
Vireo and an obliging Yellow-billed Cuckoo were encountered. Then on the
way back, a great bird not often found…an Olive-sided Flycatcher atop a
close snag. Bucktoe is a great spot to find this species, since we leave
and even plant the dead trees it favors as hunting perches.
Serendipitously, lunch was supplied by the mushroom foraging class held by
TLC – and right at the Hawk Watch Pavilion, featuring soup made of
harvested mushrooms and a homemade salad. Thanks Kristi! It was
fantastic! A nice group turned out tonight, so naturally the Nighthawk
turnout was unspectacular. Just 9 birds, all but one at a substantial
distance. A surprise was a Screech Owl calling well before dark.
<BR><BR>
---- Thanks to Delaware Nature Society for their support, and especially,
to the Brokaws, for not only their incredible support, but gracious
generosity in opening their property to the public for this watch, and oh,
so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Screech Owl, 9-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 1-OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, 1-Brown
Thrasher, 1-Northern Parula, 2-Chestnut-sided Warbler, 1-Prairie Warbler,
1-Blackpoll Warbler, 2-Black-and-white Warbler, 3-American Redstart,
1-Canada Warbler, 3-Blue Grosbeak, 5-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (14): Monarch - 20, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Red Admiral, American
Lady. Dragonflies (4): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Halloween Pennant,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (3): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 9.09; Steps: 21,334; Floors:
47.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Hawks & Nighthawks, must remain our primary focus) for totals of each
species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season: 71
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (10):”
OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, Black-and-white Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler,
Northern Parula, Blackpoll Warbler, American Redstart, Canada Warbler,
Mallard, Feral Pigeon, Brown Thrasher.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks great with a nice background of clouds developing
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware
Nature Society. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: