Date: 8/28/17 5:55 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (26 Aug 2017) Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 5 5

Observation start time: 17:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 3 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Sue McLaughlin, Ken Reynolds, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Cloudy (25-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 15.5-25.8K ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 77 - 69F, Winds NE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 3-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (10) and
Turkey Vultures (25).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Do You Know Where Your Nighthawks Are?”---

My walk up the hill from “Hotel TLC” produced Scarlet Tanager and good
cardio-vascular. Yeah, my heart was racing just a tad, as I settled in at
the Watch at 4pm. I had scared up some Meadow Voles as I neared the site.
A Red Fox that I had seen on one of the trails climbing the hill, likely
would have relished those and the Cottontail I saw casually grazing on my
corn, spread for the birds, when I arrived. It was a half hour’s walk, to
a lifetime of memories. So many of our walks with nature are, aren’t they?
Shortly, nine Nighthawks flew low, directly overhead – it was
5:22pm…sorry, to say I was by myself. Where was everybody? Do you know
where your Nighthawks were? Right over my head! Then, still more of YOUR
Nighthawks flew over first 3, 3 more, then a group of 30 to our north,
followed by 5, 3 more, and 8, a single followed by another, then finally 6.
How many is that? Sixty-nine of YOUR Nighthawks, people. I wish you’d
keep an eye on YOUR Nighthawks…literally. OK, a few people finally did
show to enjoy them. A recently retired Sue and a still working boyfriend
Ken were among them. Then suddenly Ken was gone.
“He has a habit of just walking off.” Said Sue. “I never know where he
is!”
Yes, Ken had wandered off. I couldn’t help but chuckle. This was so
mindful of another person I know. His name is also Ken. “My Ken” was a
wanderer – always walking off, driving his wife, Judy nuts. But that’s not
why I am currently laughing by myself. Ken and his wife went with me on a
tour I led to Florida back in the 90’s. They were recently retired. Well,
Ken seemed to be having fun, but was having a bit of trouble seeing some
birds. Then I looked closely at his “setup” - his binocular caps were on.
Later on the same tour, we were at Key West and I was taking the people
down to Duval Street to show them some of the sights I know, having lived
for a time with my parents 20 miles from this fun town. That street is
akin to a mini Bourbon Street. We hopped a trolley and we all talked about
what we wanted to see and do. Then we stopped again to pick up more riders
and THAT was our downfall. In strolled a couple of young “bathing
beauties” each sitting on the side of our poor Ken on the crowded trolley.
Well, Ken is an intelligent, well-read and traveled man. Yet his
intelligence was instantly sapped by the two young ladies. Worse yet, they
began to talk with Ken.
“Where are you going?” asked a stunning blonde.
Ken announced with a mere shrug that he didn’t know…no words passing his
lips, but beads of sweat were now forming across his forehead.
The brunette took a shot. “Are you from here or a tourist?
Ken didn’t know – apparently incapacitated by beauty. Mind you, Judy was
sitting right across from her husband watching all this unfold.
The blonde took another stab. “My name is Mary. What’s yours? Where are
you from?
She should have known better than to ask him a dual question like that. It
just wasn’t fair. Perhaps she was just toying with Ken, now.
Ken had no chance. He was squirming now. “I live somewhere in
Pennsylvania.” claimed Ken.
Ken lived in New York City.
Ken didn’t even know his name, a blank look encompassing his face. Rather,
he chose to try to answer the first question instead. “I think we’re going
to Florida.”
Judy just shook her head at her husband’s reaction. “I expect nothing
else!” Adding, “Ken you are in Florida.”
Thankfully, the duo got off at the first stop. Otherwise, Ken would have
soon been a drooling idiot in the corner of the trolley. Decades of
personal knowledge swept over him and we soon got our Ken back. Must be
the name - Ken.
While I relived fond memories (glad I retained that one), Blue Grosbeaks
were in constant song, their warbled whistle lying in stark contrast to the
“blink” call notes of the Bobolinks, which were also present. Walking back
to my temporary housing, there was calling Screech Owls and a Barred Owl to
add to the stroll.
<BR><BR>
---- Thanks to Delaware Nature Society for their support, and especially,
to the Brokaws, for not only their incredible support, but gracious
generosity in opening their property to the public for this watch, and oh,
so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
2-Screech Owl, 1-Barred Owl, 69-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 3-Blue Grosbeak,
10-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (8): Monarch - 15, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Black
Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper. Dragonflies (2):
Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (3):
Eastern Cottontail, Meadow Vole, Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.53; Steps: 20,018; Floors:
29.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Hawks & Nighthawks, must remain our primary focus.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season: 61
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):” None.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a continuation of fine weather for migration.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware
Nature Society. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: