Date: 8/28/17 5:00 am
From: Dorsey, Kurk <Kurk.Dorsey...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Durham birds, 8/27
Birders,

I can't claim anything like the warbler waves from up north, but there were some interesting birds down in this part of the state yesterday. In the Woodridge neighborhood, the highlights were a Prairie Warbler and a Northern Waterthrush, which was clearly rehearsing its line for the spring (and failing miserably--that one won't be passing on any genes).

The Oyster River Forest didn't have anything unusual among 41 species, but reasonably large numbers of Waxwings, Bluebirds, Baltimore Orioles, Catbirds, Song Sparrows and singles of several flycatchers and warblers (Blue-winged and another Prairie).

At Moore Fields, though, was the highlight of the day, a young Cooper's Hawk hunting in the corn field. Twice I flushed it out of perches among 5-6 foot high corn stalks, which seems most unusual. I suspect it was looking for Corned Larks.

Kurk Dorsey

Durham