Date: 8/28/17 12:06 am
From: Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] (Very) minor south coast stuff this weekend
That's interesting stuff Dave. I checked out Birds of North America and
here are two appropriate paragraphs on Osprey nest building:

Breeding [...]
During the summer breeding season, single (and occasionally paired) birds
may prospect sites, apparently for the next season (AFP). This is
especially true for failed breeders, who spend considerable time visiting
new sites but includes young birds who have yet to establish their first
nest (ROB). At Lake Norman, North Carolina, Ospreys, perhaps failed
breeders (see below Alternate/Non-breeding nests) occasionally built new,
complete nests in August, just prior to migrating south (G. Vaughan,
personal communication). Satellite data have shown that adults whose nests
fail sometimes move regularly between their nests and alternate fishing
areas up to 125 km away (ROB and MSM), returning every 3-5 d to maintain a
claim on their nest. oole 1989a).
[...]
Nest (Construction) [...]
May break dead sticks off nearby trees in flight or (more often) snatch
from ground. [...]

Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
---
SBCO #375: Gray Catbird

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Dave Compton <davcompton60...>
[sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...> wrote:

> As Nick mentioned, no sign of Solitary Sandpipers at the Dune Pond at
Coal Oil Point on Saturday, 26 August. Nothing there more interesting than
a Pectoral Sandpiper. In the plover exclosure at the Devereux Slough mouth
was a Red Knot.

> Did not see much of interest today, other than some really odd behavior
by an Osprey in Carpinteria. The bird was taking sticks from a group of
Eucalyptus trees southeast of the driving range and carrying them to a pair
of light fixtures at the Venoco pier to the southwest. Several things were
odd about this: (1) the light fixture was a completely inadequate substrate
for a large stick nest, and the sticks were just sort of hanging from the
two fixtures; (2) it's August, so it seems a strange time for an Osprey to
be building a nest; (3) this species has never been recorded nesting in
mainland Santa Barbara County; and (4) the Osprey exhibited a very peculiar
method of gathering nesting material. Rather than land in a tree and break
off large twigs with its bill, it made passes at dead snags on the top of
the tree and attempted to break off small branches while in flight. It kind
of looked like it employed its fishing techniques to break off the branches.

> My feeling is that these behaviors were all practice by an inexperienced
bird. It would be pretty cool if this species started nesting locally.

> Dave Compton
> Santa Barbara

Join us on Facebook!