Date: 8/27/17 11:54 pm
From: Nathaniel Wander <nw105...>
Subject: [obol] Pygmy Owl Song
Male and female Ferruginous Pygmy Owls sing two distinct songs.  The male's note is a clear whistle or piping or toot.  The female sings something close to this but it has a liquidy sound.  (The only thing I can compare it to is Victor Borge when he was exaggerating a Danish accent.)  When the pair are perched close together doing this duet in mating season, the male always seemed to perch above the female and to initiate the overwhelming majority of song exchanges.
Does anyone know if this seems similar in the Northern?  The tooting notes seem similar between the species, but I don't know that I ever had the opportunity to really study Northerns, especially in mating season.  In Belize I lived right in the middle of Ferruginous habitats (they even nest in town) and was able to study three pairs over several mating seasons. Nathaniel WanderPortland, OR
"Don't work towards freedom.  Make the work the freedom."

Join us on Facebook!