Date: 8/27/17 2:34 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Freedom Town Forest (20 species of warblers including 22 Cape Mays, 5 Tennessee, and 3 Bay-breasted)
I guess George & Andrea Robbins were right!

I had always heard of the mythical "Freedom Town Forest" where Cape May
and Tennessee Warblers abound at the end of August in fall migration.  I
had heard about this unique and curious phenomenon from George and
Andrea Robbins and Tony Vazzano, but never thought it possible.  Along
the coast, Cape May and Tennessee Warblers are absolutely RARE.  But
Andrea thought so highly of this spot that she wrote an article in New
Hampshire Bird Records about this spot back in 2011.

So I printed out her map and article and Jane and I (finally) traveled
up to visit.  And I can assure you, this place was awesome this
morning!  The short birch trees along the old airstrip were full of
warblers today and the dominant species was Cape May Warbler!  My
previous high count for Cape May Warbler, EVER, in NH was a measly 3.
Today, Jane and I counted 22!  And, although not as high as others have
reported here, the 5 Tennessee Warblers was also a new high count for me
for NH.

The checklist below includes a full list with a bit more information and
a few documentation photos of 8 of the Cape Mays and 3 of the Tennessees!!

http://ebird.org/ebird/nh/view/checklist/email?subID=S38853901

The Freedom Town Forest starts at the intersection of Lead Mine Road and
Ossipee Lake Road in Freedom.  There is a gate here and a kiosk with
trail maps. The trails go on to the north for miles, but we just covered
the length of the abandoned air strip and the adjacent forest.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA