Date: 8/27/17 2:16 pm
From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...>
Subject: Central Kansas Burroughs Field Trip Report
This weekend 20 people from the Northeast Kansas area participated with the
Burroughs Field Trip to central Kansas. With the help of five locals, we
collectively tallied over 120 species around Quivira, Cheyenne Bottoms, and
Larned.

After fortuitously stumbling upon a Roseate Spoonbill on our way west we
checked around Big Salt Marsh at Quivira. We had a nice variety of
shorebirds. A complete list is found in the link below.

We returned to Quivira Saturday morning and were ecstatic to have great
views of King Rails, Virginia Rails, and Sora. For the second day in a
row the group was unsuccessful in finding the Reddish Egret but the Common
Gallinules at Unit 28 were present.

Saturday afternoon we headed to Larned and enjoyed a pair of Black-headed
Grosbeaks, Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, and White-winged Doves in Pawnee
County.

Sunday morning we waited out the scattered showers and were treated to
Common Gallinules and Western Grebes at Cheyenne Bottoms.

We are grateful for the help and hospitality of Barry Jones, John Olson,
Mike Bader, Scott Seltman, Donnie Kazmaier and Curtis Wolf. An unexpected,
but very pleasant, surprise was a visit from Nick Varvel.

Good Birding,

Malcolm Gold (Overland Park, KS)

--
Malcolm Gold