Date: 8/27/17 1:42 pm
From: <bacpab...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Lagoon Valley, early
Following up on a eBird report by Murray Berner, I high-tailed it over to Lagoon Valley Reservoir early this morning to check for migrants-I was not disappointed. Entering the north side of the lake from Pena Adobe Road off of Hwy 80, I birded the trees and willows along the lakeside first. Almost immediately a flock of at least 5 BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS, A WILLOW FLYCATCHER, and two YELLOW WARBLERS were flying between one of the big poplars and the willows along the lake. After that activity died down, I walked up the row of oak trees at what's labeled Rotary Grove, and found more migrants: two CASSIN'S VIREOS, more BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS, a WILSON'S WARBLER, and another YELLOW WARBLER. By 9:30 the temperature was edging over 90 F and the activity slowed down. I didn't have quite the day that Murray had, but it was great to hear and see so many warblers in this neck of the woods. A SWAINSON'S HAWK was perched in a large snag tree near the lakeside, as well. The trees around the adobe look promising, as well, but it was too hot at that point to check them out. This is a nice place to bird and only about 55 minutes from Oakland.

Best,

Patricia Bacchetti
Oakland

Join us on Facebook!