Date: 8/27/17 12:05 pm
From: Marc Ribaudo via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Black tern and other, Dyke Marsh Wildlife Preserve, Aug 27, 2017
About 25 people attended the weekly walk at Dyke Marsh, sponsored by the
Friends of Dyke Marsh. We walk is open to all, and meets in the Belle Haven
picnic area at 8am. We were fortunate today in having a bevy of trip
leaders in attendance, including Rich Rieger, Larry Meade, Ed Eder, and
Sherm Suter. That plus some other sharp-eyed attendees resulted in a list
of 69 species, without the benefit of many migrants. We had pretty good
success viewing water birds from the picnic area, including a large flock of
blue-winged teal which contained an early green-winged teal, shorebirds on
the distant mudflats, several pied-billed grebes, a large flock of Caspian
terns on the mudflats, and large numbers or great blue herons and great
egrets. We also saw a distant peregrine falcon perched on the Wilson
bridge. From the marina we saw a black tern in close to breeding plumage
flying over the hydrilla mat. Also viewed around the marina were green
heron, yellow and Nashville warblers and an American redstart. The wildlife
trail was rather quiet, although we did see black-and-white warbler,
Baltimore oriole, red-eyed vireo, and great-crested flycatcher. From the
end of the boardwalk we saw a spotted sandpiper, and on the way back we
heard a blue grosbeak. A complete list is below.

Marc Ribaudo

Dyke Marsh Wildlife Preserve, Fairfax, Virginia, US
Aug 27, 2017 7:43 AM - 11:33 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.33 mile(s)
69 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 180
Blue-winged Teal 32
Mallard 85
Green-winged Teal 1 In flock of blue-winged teal. Eclipse or female
plumage. Darker than blue-winged teal. Dark around base of bill. When flew
did not display blue wing patch when flew. Green speculum.
Pied-billed Grebe 4
Double-crested Cormorant 14
Great Blue Heron 39
Great Egret 74