Date: 8/27/17 11:59 am
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Merrimac Farm
We don't understand why we only had 5 participants on this morning's   last Sunday of the Month birdwalk at Merrimac Farm on what was one of the most beautiful days of the month.  We were able to compile a list of 39 species with several warbler species being our prominent highlight.  Among these were three Hooded Warblers,  a couple of Magnolia Warblers, and several others.  Additionally, a large group of Wild Turkeys paraded across the entrance road to the Area, and a pair of molting Tanagers posed for pictures.  Perhaps our most interesting observation was not a bird at all, but rather a pair of Luna Moths found in a grass clump.  Fearing that we may have interrupted an Actias Luna mating, we moved on.
Wild Turkey  14
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  6
Chimney Swift  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4
Eastern Phoebe  1
White-eyed Vireo  5
Red-eyed Vireo  6
Blue Jay  9
American Crow  1
crow sp.  7
Carolina Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  7
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  6
Gray Catbird  6
Black-and-white Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  1
Hooded Warbler  3
American Redstart  1
Magnolia Warbler  2
Prairie Warbler  1
Song Sparrow  1
Eastern Towhee  5
Summer Tanager  1
Scarlet Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  6
Indigo Bunting  1
Orchard Oriole  1
Baltimore Oriole  1
American Goldfinch  8

The Prince William Conservation Alliance birdwalks at the Merrimac Farm Wildlife Management Area in Nokesville take place at 8 AM on the final Sunday of every month.  Birders meet at the Area's entrance located at the stonehouse at the end of Deepwood Drive.  Questions may be directed to the Alliance at 703.499.4954,  or <alliance...>

Harry GlasgowNancy Vehrs