Date: 8/27/17 10:43 am
From: Ty Smedes <ty.smedes...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Barred Owl Encounter
On my morning walk along Beaver Creek, behind IPTV in Johnston, I came upon a Barred Owl, no more than 30ft from the path, and no more than 4ft off the ground. He was perched facing me, with his head swiveled 180 degrees to the rear, gazing into the meadow behind. I started talking to him, and he slowly swiveled his head around, to take a look at me.. I thought he would flush when I resumed walking down the trail, but he barely looked as I departed.. So many birds become especially frightened when the perceived threat is above them, but this individual was apparently quite used to human traffic along the trail.. And interesting encounter...

Ty Smedes

Ty Smedes Nature Photography
4732 72nd Street
Urbandale
Iowa 50322-1148

www.smedesphoto.com
phone #515-270-9086

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it" - Thomas Jefferson