Date: 8/27/17 7:15 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Baird's Sandpiper and Golden-Plovers in Niagara County
Good morning,
Early this morning I did a quick circuit to check the Lower Lake Rd X Burgess Rd. Fields and Ellicott Rd. eBird hotspots in Niagara County. The highlight at Burgess was a BAIRD’S SANDPIPER in the northern puddle feeding with a small flock of Semipalmated Sandpipers and Semipalmated Plovers. The southern puddle is now nearly dry, though it still held two Semipalmated Plovers. Another highlight included a calling Eastern Screech-Owl.

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845167 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845167>

On the way to Ellicott Rd. in Hartland, I checked a plowed field located on the east side of Johnson’s Creek Rd. about one mile south of Townline Rd. in the town of Somerset. There were three AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS here fairly far back in the plowed field. A Wilson’s Snipe and eight Lesser Yellowlegs also took off from some wet tire ruts on the west side of the road in a fallow field.

eBird checklist with photos of the plovers: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845159 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845159>

Ellicott Rd had lots of shorebirds represented by seven species. The highlight there was a SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER.

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845511 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845511>

Best,
Joel Strong