Date: 8/27/17 5:00 am
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bstn Hlw/Yale Forest, Ashford, Sat, 8-26-17 Excellent late season day! 48 sp.
Had a great day yesterday, highlighted by a juvenile Barred Owl who flew
right in to me and perched, 25 feet away, for about 20 minutes. He stayed
when I moved the car for a clear view, twice, and moved to 3 different
perches, all about the same distance from me. Didn't seem to mind at all that I
was pointing a foot long lens at him from out the car window. He was so
close I didn't have to zoom in all the way on him to fill the frame.
Day didn't start quite as well, because when I stopped for coffee I
realized I'd left my camera bag at home, but I made one of the best decisions
ever and went back and got it. I was early, so the half hour didn't really
matter, and with different timing I'd probably have missed the owl completely.
I also had quite a few other birds, some I haven't seen/heard in a while
and didn't know were still around. I'm wondering if some are early migrants
from up north.

Barred owl Pics here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32j2brxdba8tkrp/AACjfX42UdGsfETRbWR4Fi-Ka?dl=0

For other bird pics and a recording of a juvie Broad-winged Hawk calling
go to the Ebird checklist here:

Aug 26, 2017 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.5 mile(s)
Comments: Even with things slowing to a crawl, still a great sighting
of another Barred owl and some surprises.
48 species

Wild Turkey 4
Black Vulture 2 First ever for me in the BH/YF area
Turkey Vulture 1
Cooper's Hawk 2 In Union, north of Kinney Hollow Rd in the forest area
Broad-winged Hawk 1 Juvie calling from the woods. Sounded very young but
it's late for them now.
Red-tailed Hawk 2 39 Barlow Mill. Juvie flew into tree by pond
Mourning Dove 5
Barred Owl 1 Made my day. After I pulled into a parking turn-out I saw
movement to my left, and the way the branches shook I knew it was big.
Turned out to be another Barred Owl, maybe the same one I saw 100 yards or so
from there 2 weeks ago. I could barely see it but managed a few record shots.
But then it flew from it's perch, and instead of leaving, landed on a snag
less than 25 feet from me. And he sat there in pretty much full view for
10 or 15 minutes, while I burned pixels.
After that he flew again, but to a tree even closer, after it let me
re-position my car, and gave me another good 5 minutes. Only drawback was , the
light was very low, but I'll take it!
After reviewing my photos, this owl is a juvie. It has traces of down
still on it's head. I do NOT believe it's the same one as I saw a few weeks
ago, although it's possible.
Locations were more than a mile apart and in the territories of 2
different pairs of B O that were in the area this year. Possibly the one I saw
nearby was a parent of this one, since I saw no sign it was a juvenile.
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2 In woods, north of Kinney Hollow Rd.
Downy Woodpecker 4
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 4 First I've seen in weeks. All together, foraging
on a woods road.
Eastern Wood-Pewee 3
Least Flycatcher 1
Eastern Phoebe 5
Great Crested Flycatcher 4 Still hearing their "Weep" sound.
Blue-headed Vireo 3
Warbling Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 7
Blue Jay 20
American Crow 1
Common Raven 1
Black-capped Chickadee 25
Tufted Titmouse 10
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 5
House Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Hermit Thrush 1 Seen foraging on the forest floor
American Robin 6 Mostly in the woods
Gray Catbird 10
Cedar Waxwing 6
Blue-winged Warbler 1 Amazed me - haven't seen or heard one in a long
time. I heard it but didn't believe my ears. but about 5 minutes later he
perched nicely for me in the sun for a few seconds. Black eye line clearly
visible.
Black-and-white Warbler 8 Appear to be most all juvenile or possibly
female now. Still heard 3 singing though
Common Yellowthroat 3
American Redstart 4 All female or maybe juvies. Up until this past week
I've been seeing males as well.
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1 In the same little flock with the
Blue-winged and one C yellow throat
Black-throated Green Warbler 1 Surprise, but I'm sure I heard one
call weakly. Possibly a juvenile?
Canada Warbler 2 Never would have guessed this, but saw both in the
upland woods north of Kinney Hollow Rd. It's a long way's from their
breeding grounds that I know of, but maybe juveniles, or possibly migrants from
further north? I wonder that about the other Warblers too. Visibility not
the best but I couldn't see much sign of necklace on either bird.
Chipping Sparrow 5
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 2
Scarlet Tanager 1 Singing "Tic bur".
Northern Cardinal 5
Red-winged Blackbird 2
American Goldfinch 30 All over the place now, including half a dozen
eating bull thistle seeds.

View this checklist online at

Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct