Date: 8/26/17 7:07 pm
From: Rudolph Keller <rckeller...>
Subject: berks migrants
Based on nocturnal flight calls heard around dawn (5:30-6:00 a.m. is a good
time to listen), Veeries have been on the move all week. I've heard well
over 100 calls (cumulatively) on 3 mornings. I haven't heard any of the
other thrushes yet. This fits the pattern of the last 20+ years I've been
doing this. I've also heard Scarlet Tanagers and a few Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks. There were good warbler flights (double digit counts of some of
the more common early migrants like Blackburnian, Chestnut-sided,
Black-throated Green) at Hawk Mt.'s North Lookout on a few mornings this
week. And lots of swifts and swallows (5 spp.) have passed there, as you'd
expect in August.
Rudy Keller
Boyertown, PA
Berks County