Date: 8/26/17 6:50 pm
From: David Brown <davidebrownpa...>
Subject: Jaeger, Lycoming County
Maddi Dunlap and I had a flyover jaeger this evening at the Williamsport
river walk in Lycoming County around 6:30pm.

We were watching a northern harrier soaring and the jaeger passed between
us and the harrier. Naked eye I first thought it was a nighthawk or tern
because of the buoyant flight but when I got the camera up it clearly
wasn't. It was a beautiful calm, sunny evening and the jaeger was flapping
and heading generally north or northwest. We only had it in view for less
than 30 seconds as it went out of sight behind the bridge we were next to
and when we rushed to the other side we could not spot it again.

Juvenile long-tailed jaeger is the most likely candidate. Parasitic jaeger
is the other species to rule out.

Interestingly, the last eBird record of long-tailed jaeger for PA was
almost exactly 3 years ago on August 25th, 2014.

Here is my complete set of photos of the jaeger:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10214801141365027.1073741919.1320529035&type=1&l=a438c92dbc

David Brown
Lycoming County
lycobirds.com