Date: 8/26/17 3:19 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Three N.E. Lake County Beaches & 2 Cook County Inland Wetlands Saturday 8-26-17
Hello Bird People,

I was out a fairly long time today & am kind of worn out so I'll just
do highlights in this report.
Bob E & Scott L were with at all 3 Lake Co locations & we saw Steve M
& Andy Stewart at Illinois Beach. On my way home I again checked
Techny North & Air Station Prairie where I was joined by Jim J. I did
manage to see 10 species of shorebirds but most were of the common
variety.

Waukegan Beach & Pier (6:15-7 a.m)

The only shorebirds I saw were Sanderling (16), Least (1) &
Semipalmated (2) Sandpipers.
However, Bob E saw a Baird's before I arrived & Scott L later saw a
Spotted Sandpiper. Only Herring & Ring Billed Gulls & no Terns of any
kind.

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:25-9 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorants (30) & Great Blue Herons (2) flew by the beach
Shorebirds were Killdeer (2), Semipalmated Plover (3), Sanderling
(11), Spotted Sandpiper (2 & 2),
& finally one Baird's Sandpiper. (Andy & Steve had another before we
arrived). Again only Herring & Ring Billed Gulls but we did have 1
Caspian Tern go by. The female plumaged BREWER'S BLACKBIRD remains on
the beach near the mouth of the river which is once again blocked so
maybe the beach ponds will return. I later heard a singing Eastern
Bluebird.

State Line Beach (9:15-9:35 a.m.)

Only shorebirds were Spotted Sandpiper & Sanderling (2 each).
Among the 2 standard Gulls were 1 adult & 1 young Caspian Tern.

Techny Basin North (12:45-1:45 p.m.)

Pretty much the same birds as yesterday but numbers were lower today.
Shorebirds were Killdeer (34), Semipalmated Plover (2), Lesser Yelowlegs (3),
Solitary (1), Spotted (2), Least (12), Semipalmated (16) & Pectoral
(1) Sandpipers.
Also 2 Cormorants, 4 Great Blues & 2 Great Egrets.
Flying by were 3 Ring Billed Gulls, 6 Chimney Swifts & the usual Kingfisher.

Air Station Prairie (1:30-2:20 p.m.)

Almost exactly the same birds as yesterday.
Shorebirds were Killdeer (13), Lesser Yellowlegs (6), Solitary (8),
Least (5), Semipalmated (7)
& Pectoral (11) Sandpipers. In the east pond were Great Blue & Great
Egret (1 each)
Yesterday's Snipe was a "no show" today.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Baird's Sandpiper which I saw after missing
others at Waukegan & IBSP.
Runners-Up to a Red Headed Woodpecker & a Common Nighthawk seen when
visiting the IBSP North Unit Hawk Watch on their 1st day of business.

Al Stokie
Scrounging for shorebirds in Lake & Cook Co's

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: