Date: 8/26/17 1:45 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lakefront (26-Aug-2017) hawk flight at Miller
Today (26-Aug-2017) John Cassady, Lynea Hinchman, Randy Pals, Lynn Vernon, and I birded the Indiana lakefront.

The day’s highlight was a nice autumn hawk flight that yielded 123 raptors of six species, including very good Red-tailed Hawk and Bald Eagle counts. We also enjoyed 10 shorebird and 8 warbler species. All and all a fine day afield.

—FORSYTHE PARK & ADJACENT WOLF LAKE (the park was birdless)
Double-crested Cormorant,2
Great Blue Heron,3
Great Egret,6
Snowy Egret,1
Green Heron,1
Semipalmated Plover,8 juvs
Spotted Sandpiper,3 juvs
Least Sandpiper,3 juvs
Semipalmated Sandpiper,4- adult & 3 juvs
Caspian Tern,3
Chimney Swift,1

—HAMMOND SANCTUARY. (met Michael Topp)
Double-crested Cormorant,100 apx
Mourning Dove,9
Chimney Swift,15
Eastern Wood-Pewee,1
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher,1
Warbling Vireo,2 singing
Barn Swallow,4
Gray Catbird,2
Tennessee Warbler,1
Yellow Warbler,2 first-cycle
Chestnut-sided Warbler,1
Magnolia Warbler,1
Cape May Warbler,1
Bay-breasted Warbler,2
Blackpoll Warbler,6
American Redstart,9
Baltimore Oriole,1

—WHITING PARK (also virtually birdless)
European Collared-Dove,6 on tennis court fence
American Kestrel,1 male

—129 ST RECLIMATION SITE
Great Blue Heron,1
Great Egret,1
Semipalmated Plover,6 juvs
Killdeer,9
Spotted Sandpiper,1 juv
Least Sandpiper,5 juvs
Semipalmated Sandpiper,22 juvs
Caspian Tern,16
Barn Swallow,20

—CARLSON OXBOW PARK
Great Blue Heron,4
Great Egret,3
Snowy Egret,1- first site record
Semipalmated Plover,1 juv
Killdeer,30
Lesser Yellowlegs,8 juvs
Spotted Sandpiper,3 juvs
Least Sandpiper,1 juv
Semipalmated Sandpiper,3 juvs
Pectoral Sandpiper,3 adults
Stilt Sandpiper,1 juv
Chimney Swift,40
Belted Kingfisher,1
Purple Martin,2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow,1
Barn Swallow,30
Brown Thrasher,1

—MILLER BEACH (lakewatch 111:30-2:00PM with Jeff McCoy & Michael Topp. A five-knot ESE wind pushed the raptors westward along the lakefront. Several kettles of five birds were noted. )
Turkey Vulture,6
Osprey,1
Bald Eagle,9- adult & 8 juvs- record fall count for the lakefront
Cooper’s Hawk,1
Red-shouldered Hawk,2
Broad-winged Hawk,11
Red-tailed Hawk,93- lakefront’s 2nd largest fall count
Sanderling,2 juvs
Chimney Swift,7
Ruby-throated Hummingbird,2
Barn Swallow,2

—LONG LAKE (on Hwy 12) Eastern Kingbird,1

Ken Brock
Chesterton

Join us on Facebook!