Date: 8/26/17 1:48 pm
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, Aug 26: dark murrelet
Jane Mygatt and I spent 3 hours at the Cove this morning, 9:00-12:00.
Heavy overcast and limited visibility offshore.
Windless; absolutely flat ocean.

Still we could see several thousand black-vented shearwaters flying around the Cove and about a mile offshore.
A few sooty and pink-footed shearwaters amongst them.
Just before 12:00, another 1–2K black-vented shearwaters came pouring up from the south.

Most amazing was the number of fishing boats: we counted 135+ in the area just out from the art museum, and a couple dozen more to the north.
Hundreds of gulls, pelicans, terns. No jaegers or boobies, to our surprise.

Best bird of the day was a fly-by, heading south, small, all-dark murrelet about 150 yards offshore.
Either marbled or long-billed in alternate plumage.
Back color was relatively dark, so I’d favor marbled on that basis alone, but the light was so gray that true color was hard to discern.

Jane found 2 wandering tattlers. Also, Jim Roberts wrote me that he had one in early July.

Don’t try to go to the Cove after 9:00 or so. Traffic and parking is impossible.

Stan Walens
San Diego

Join us on Facebook!