Date: 8/26/17 1:29 pm
From: Mark Lynch <moa.lynch...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Red-necked Phalarope in Warren 8/26
While counting Wood Ducks in the large, marshy pond along Brooks Road in
Warren (Worcester County) I was more than a little surprised to discover a
juvenile RED-NECKED PHALAROPE just sitting in the water at the far side of
the marsh. We watched the bird for more than 10 minutes, Sheila got some
poor record shots (I will post on Central Mass Birders Facebook page).
Suddenly, a kingfisher flew in and made a dive at the 'rope and it promptly
flew up and out heading east. Also seen in Warren were (6) Virginia Rails,
Marsh Wrens, a Philly Vireo, a smattering of warblers, and a Bobcat. I
nearby Brookfields, while checking ponds for (possibly) other phalaropes
(no) we had (2) Ospreys and (3) Bald Eagles (1ad+1sub-ad+1imm). The adult
caught what looked like a huge introduced pike.

Mark Lynch/Sheila Carroll

<Moa.lynch...>

Join us on Facebook!