Date: 8/26/17 1:08 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Exeter WTP - Note visitation rules
Jane and I visited the Exeter WTP this afternoon.  I talked to someone
in Jennifer Perry's office who said that it would be OK if birders visit
ON WEEKENDS ONLY WHEN THERE IS NO WORK GOING ON!  If someone hears
differently, let me or the list know!  But I will assume that it is now
safe to visit on weekends or holidays.  Ponds #4 and #5 will never be
the same again and the "center island" of forest is no longer.  BUT, the
birds still come to visit, and most noteworthy, Pond #3 is drawn down
and had a lot of shorebirds. Highlighted by a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/36653437572/in/photostream/lightbox/

Comments:     First visit in a long time.  MASSIVE renovations going
on.  Pond #4 and #5 being totally renovated with heavy equipment. Plant
has been closed to birders since spring, but permission just received to
visit on weekends only when no construction is going on.  Pond #3 is
drawn down and was full of shorebirds.  About 250 total peeps.

Canada Goose  9
Wood Duck  1
Blue-winged Teal  8
Mallard  1,000     Huge mass of Mallards in Pond 2.  Started to count,
but gave up!  Conservative estimate.
American Black Duck  5
Green-winged Teal  8
Double-crested Cormorant  6
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Semipalmated Plover  4
Killdeer  6
Least Sandpiper  30
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER  1     Photos.
Pectoral Sandpiper  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper  200     Estimate.  250 total peeps counted. Vast
majority were SESA.
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  2
Lesser Yellowlegs  2