Date: 8/26/17 11:10 am
From: Keith McMullen <warbler7...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Mottled Duck, Rend Lake
Hi everybody,
I have a probable Mottled Duck at north end of Rend Lake in Jefferson County.
It is with Mallards feeding in the shallows, W of Bonnie and just E of the first bridge on the long E-W road.
Obviously a darker bird with whitish/silvery underwings in flight, warm brown plumage, pale yellowish bill with the black spot on the gape present.
Took photos but they're likely too distant. Bird stands out as being dark; not American Black Duck dark but darker than Mallards.
I've seen several Mottled in IL and I believe this is another!
Good birdings!
Keith McMullen
O'Fallon, IL
<Warbler7...>