Date: 8/26/17 10:01 am
From: Stephen Johnson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Fraser Preserve: late breeding and migratory behavior 26 August

Hello Birders,

My visit this morning to Fraser Preserve, a beautiful stretch of woods in Fairfax County, produced one late breeding confirmation for the Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas, and some interesting (I thought) migration behavior.

An adult female Towhee fed a begging, all tawny-brown, scruffy youngster, as I watched. Later, returning on the same trail, he was still following her around under the bushes. This was in the exact spot where we'd seen and heard the adult pair, earlier in the summer.

Migrating birds included Black-and-White and Magnolia Warblers, and my first-of-season DFWS*.

The Magnolia was in a mixed flock, the density and variety of which I have not seen during the entire breeding season. There were easily 8 or more species present, and many instances of both intra- and inter-species chasing. I'm used to active mixed flocks like that in spring migration, so this was quite a surprise at this season.

I really could have used a couple of you folks there along with me - I couldn't keep up with 'em!!

Cheers,
Steve Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia

*Drab Fall Warbler Sp.**, unidentifiable by mere mortals

**species ***

*** three consecutive asterisks