Date: 8/26/17 9:45 am
From: Larry Cartwright via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Hike-Bike Trail: Gnatcatchers Everywhere
Eighteen birders joined my today for the Northern Virginia Bird Club's bird
walk along the Hike-Bike Trail this morning. It was pretty slow at most
areas contrasting with a lot of activity at several localized spots. In the
first meadow, for example, we had two Black-and-white Warblers, a few
Common Yellowthroats and Indigo Buntings, and over a dozen Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers simultaneously. The Pond Trail was quiet except for a few
Red-eyed Vireos that sang continuously. From the platform overlooking the
main marsh we had good close views of adult and fully grown young Wood Ducks
as well as distant views of Solitary Sandpipers. A Purple Martin pair and a
lone Tree Swallow foraged over the marsh and a dozen Cedar Waxwings passed
through. Red-winged Blackbirds seem to have briefly departed.

Huntley Meadows Park--Hike and Bike Trail, Fairfax, Virginia, US Aug 26,
2017 7:28 AM - 11:12 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.5 mile(s)

47 species

Wood Duck 8

Mallard 3

Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 2

Great Egret 3

Green Heron 1

Black Vulture 9

Turkey Vulture 5

Osprey 1

Cooper's Hawk 1

Bald Eagle 1

Red-tailed Hawk 1

Solitary Sandpiper 2

Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 60

Mourning Dove 12

Yellow-billed Cuckoo 3

Chimney Swift 10

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 7

Red-bellied Woodpecker 3

Downy Woodpecker 3

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 1

Pileated Woodpecker 2

Eastern Wood-Pewee 4

Acadian Flycatcher 1

Red-eyed Vireo 5

Blue Jay 12

Purple Martin 2

Tree Swallow 1

Carolina Chickadee 16

Tufted Titmouse 18

White-breasted Nuthatch 5

Carolina Wren 15

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 30 Large number passing through. Small gray
bird, long tail with white outer tail feathers, noticeable eye ring

Eastern Bluebird 1

American Robin 11

Gray Catbird 4

European Starling 10