Date: 8/25/17 7:49 pm
From: Kojo Baidoo <baidookojo6...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Yard/Neighborhood Migrants 8/24-8/25
Yesterday's migration was fantastic! I had eight warbler species, the earliest I've ever recorded such variety. The best species was a nice Canada Warbler, a bird I haven't seen in fall in two years, but one I usually see in the neighborhood at least once in the spring. I also saw a Tennessee, one I should see a couple more times in the coming weeks, and three Blackburnian Warblers in the same tree. Least Flycatcher and Warbling Vireo were quite nice; the latter was a bit of a surprise.

Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38820578

American Redstart: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132863360@N02/36803529705/in/dateposted-public/

Today was, expectedly, less active, but still good. Highlights included FOS Chestnut-sided Warbler, and I must have had at least ten, mostly in my yard and the yards around mine. Definitely a high count. It was also the first time I had Blackburnians (two today) for two consecutive days, which makes sense because I usually only see them in the fall. A nice surprise was a colorful adult male Cape May Warbler, which was only a little less bright than they are in the spring; it was also my FOS for the species (and my FOY). An interesting miss was Magnolia Warbler, easily my most common warbler migrant; in the past years, I've had at least seventy during the end of August, September, and early to mid October with the peak in September. So, I'm expecting a whole lot, possibly tomorrow or Sunday, and that flow won't cease for a while. I had two Least Flycatchers and many gnatcatchers today as well (also had them yesterday).

Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38820682

Hoping for some great birds this weekend,

Kojo Baidoo
Reisterstown, MD