Date: 8/25/17 2:55 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Both Techny's, Air Station Prairie & Heritage Park In Wheeling Friday 8-25-17
Hello Bird People,

More local stuff today. A partial repeat of yesterday (both Techny's)
& 2 new places which were Air Station Prairie & Heritage Park.

Techny Basin South Section (9:55-10:55 a.m.)

Yesterday I had 6 shorebird species in the "pond" but today only 2
although a 3rd was seen later.
Habitat still looks great though.

Great Blue Heron (2 in the pond & 3 in the stream) & Great Egret (1 in
the pond & 1 in the stream)
Canada Goose (11 in the pond) & Mallard (55 in the pond & 22 in the stream)
Killdeer (7 in the pond & 1 in the stream), Solitary Sandpiper (6 in
the pond & 3 in the stream)
Spotted Sandpiper (2 fly-bys)
Also flying by were Cooper's & Red Tailed Hawk (1 each) & a Kingfisher
Saw 2 distant Ring Billed Gulls & the Eastern Kingbird family continues

Techny Basin North (11-11:55 a.m.)

As always here there were good numbers of shorebirds (100) but nothing special.

D.C. Cormorant (3), Great Blue Heron (5), Great Egret (2) & Black
Crowned Night Heron (1-AD &
1-IM)
Canada Goose (1), Wood Duck (19) & Mallard (5)
(Yesterday there were 76 Mallards here & today only 5. They are moving
between both Techny's)
Killdeer (49), Semipalmated Plover (2) & Lesser Yellowlegs (6)
Solitary (1), Spotted (2-IM), Least (21), Semipalmated (18) & Pectoral
(1) Sandpipers
Flying above were both of the Red Tailed Hawks & Barn Swallows.
A large flock of 25 Mourning Doves flushed from the ground to a tree.

Air Station Prairie (12:05-12:55 p.m.)

Lucky for me I ran into Isoo O'Brien at Techny North & he told me Air
Station Prairie now had shorebird habitat. I had been skipping that
place as it had been so under water.
Both the west & east ponds have great shorebird habitat & good numbers
of common shorebirds.

Mallard (4) & Red Tailed Hawk (1 hover hunting)
Killdeer (12), Greater (1) & Lesser (5) Yellowlegs, Solitary (13),
Pectoral (11) & Semipalmated (2)
Sandpipers plus another one of those nice looking Wilson's Snipe.
Also here were 3 Eastern Kingbirds, a Savannah Sparrow & a very yellow
Fall feathered BOBOLINK.

Heritage Park/Wheeling

Walked the stream & the only shorebirds were 7 Killdeer but there are
good mud edges & so maybe other shorebirds will arrive later.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the bright yellow Fall plumaged Bobolink &
Runners-Up to the adult Black Crowned Night Heron & the Wilson's Snipe.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today & again staying close to home

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: