Date: 8/25/17 9:15 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] OSFL, more @ Wheaton Regional Park today, August 25
Hi all,

Finally a good migration day at WRP, lots of warblers about as well as other migrants. Quite a few birders, too. Robins were everywhere feeding on berries, flying in and out - "robinated" again! Two early flyover Nighthawks were nice to see. We personally saw 9 species of warbler, dominated by Chestnut-sideds which seemed to be everywhere, with nice looks at FOS Prairie, FOS Magnolia, as well as Blackburnian and Canada. Bob Augustine also found a male Wilson's, which we missed. Big influx of Catbirds, still good numbers of Orioles, no Swallows. Only a few Blue Jays. Things were lively most everywhere, but it died pretty quickly at 9:30 am. The highlight of the morning was an Olive-sided Flycatcher which appeared late on the "OSFL snags" near the mini train tracks - if we hadn't been hanging around trying to find the Wilson's, we would have missed it!

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, MD

Protocol: Traveling

51 species
Birds of interest:

Wood Duck 5
Green Heron 3
Common Nighthawk 2 Flyovers at about 8 am
Chimney Swift 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2
Northern Flicker 4
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Olive-sided Flycatcher 1 On snags near mini train tracks, later flew west and seen on snags along Shorefield parking lot. Large flycatcher, big-headed and short-tailed, obvious "vested" appearance, white scapular tufts observed. Foraged by making long sallies out from highest perch, at one point chased by Pewee which was distinctly smaller in size.
Eastern Wood-Pewee 7
Acadian Flycatcher 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 3
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 8
Blue Jay 6 Significant decline
House Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (caerulea) 5
Eastern Bluebird 1
Veery 1
Gray Catbird 20 Estimate, significant increase since yesterday
Northern Mockingbird 2
Cedar Waxwing 1
Blue-winged Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 4