Date: 8/25/17 7:01 am
From: Susan Fortenberry <texas410...>
Subject: [texbirds] Make extra Hummingbird nectar while you still have power
Dear Fellow texbirders:
Please make extra Hummingbird nectar while you still have power.

The morning after Hurricane Ike hit, I saw several humming birds
frantically searching my flower beds for nectar and I realized that the
wind and rain had stripped the flowers/nectar from the plants.

I was lucky enough to have the use of a propane grill and hurriedly boiled
water and made several batches of nectar. I hung several feeders around my
yard and hungry hummers and hungry bees quickly found the feeders. The
hummers left one feeder alone and the bees took over that one. I had never
seen bees swarming a feeder like that before.

This time I have made extra nectar just in case we lose power.

Hopefully Hurricane Harvey will not be as bad as predicted.

Susan Fortenberry
Sugar Land, TX

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner