Date: 8/25/17 5:28 am
From: Dennis Burnette <deburnette...>
Subject: Re: Important Conservation Issues - Consider Audubon
National Audubon Society sends out Action Alerts on issues that affect birds
and wildlife habitats. The alerts usually summarize the issues and suggest
steps members can take. One of the cool things about Audubon is that the
enormous national membership spans the whole political spectrum. There are
state Audubon offices both in North Carolina and South Carolina that send
out alerts of more regional interest. Joining National Audubon automatically
confers membership in a local chapter, if there is one nearby. (There are 9
chapters in North Carolina and 6 in South Carolina.) Even if there isnıt a
chapter nearby, a national member still can get action alerts and be active
in conservation. Membership is only $20 a year. The National Audubon Society
website is https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.audubon.org_&d=DwIFAw&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=ii2veGVuJ2MveDwgjjKq1xSH3cWxVF7-3g20OA2tV6Y&s=xnLofWKL0J8ZBSgR2F0cO2QbwmX5Lburx6NtRcrtx9g&e= ; click on ³Conservation² to see a pull
down menu describing all the good work Audubon is doing. Audubon NC and
Audubon SC are very active in conservation at a more local level. The
websites are https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__nc.audubon.org_&d=DwIFAw&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=ii2veGVuJ2MveDwgjjKq1xSH3cWxVF7-3g20OA2tV6Y&s=2rk823kG0nT57VWdOAqVWRAV8J6VgDHXOU9haB0mjxU&e= and https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sc.audubon.org_&d=DwIFAw&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=ii2veGVuJ2MveDwgjjKq1xSH3cWxVF7-3g20OA2tV6Y&s=siZxdFCK40O8BKzysUydUFEtjt1fQ9Lq2DtdGaiw3EA&e= . The websites
have a wealth of information about conservation activities in each state.
Clicking on the words under the banners will provide a quick tour of whatıs
going on.

By the way, I donıt work for Audubon, Iım just an active member of my local
chapter.

Dennis
--
Dennis Burnette
Greensboro, NC

From: <carolinabirds-request...> on behalf of Carolinabirds
<carolinabirds...>
Date: Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 12:37 PM
To: Russ Oates <rmoates54...>
Cc: Maggie Strickland <gallinasviejas...>, Carolinabirds
<carolinabirds...>
Subject: Re: Important conservation issues

Russ,

Thank you for these details. I want to take action, but I don't have time
to dig deep into the issues or figure out the process from scratch, as I am
committed to other efforts. Would it be possible for you to advise, or can
someone you know advise, on specific actions to be taken when the time is
right? I would be extremely grateful and ready to call or submit comments
if I could know 1) what to say (very briefly) 2) when to say it, and 3) who
to say it to.

Betsy Kane
Raleigh

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Russ Oates <carolinabirds...> wrote:
> [...]
>>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.savebristolbay.org_>>> home_&d=DwMFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitu
>>> g_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=7EO4BVk-XJ7NwcinUfmYJ6IqVyRpdxRLrIOCGxsI31Q
>>> &s=UivxUYuxxj67rL43Q6khgMRE3p-5W3cZUbqTdOKj7ls&e=>
>>>

>>> 5) Issue: The State National Forest Management Act of 2017 (SNFMA) and the
>>> Alaska Mental Health Trust Land Transfer Act (AMHT).
>>>
>>> Desired outcome: Defeat both bills.
>>>

>>> SNFMA, (HR 232, sponsored by Rep. Don Young of Alaska) was introduced in
>>> January of this year. I donıt understand all of the details, but I read the
>>> text and this is my take: While there are some specific Alaska provisions,
>>> much of the bill applies to all states and national forests in North and
>>> South Carolina could be profoundly affected. As written, this bill would
>>> allow each state to select up to 2,000,000 acres of National Forest within
>>> their respective state boundaries for transfer to state ownership and
>>> management with the mandate to supply the needs of all wood processing
>>> operations in the state. Potentially, 100% of NCıs 1.255 million acres of
>>> National Forest could be transferred to the state. This legislation would
>>> also permit mining in the ³former² national forests.
>>>

>>> AMHT, sponsored by Senator Lisa Murkowski, has been developed in the Senate
>>> to the point that it can be added as a rider to another, more urgent bill.
>>> The bill is intended to allow the transfer of old growth acreage to private
>>> (Alaska Native) corporations in exchange for their corporate-owned
>>> logged-over areas. This will facilitate the rapid destruction of the
>>> magnificent old growth trees, some of which are more than 1,000 years old.
>>>

>>> The Alaska congressional delegation has, for decades, done everything in
>>> their power to open up the remaining old growth trees of the magnificent
>>> Tongass National Forest to logging. Only 3% of the Tongass is old growth, so
>>> we must act now to save it.
>>>

>>> 6) Issue: Building a road to the village of King Cove through the
>>> Designated Wilderness portion of Izembek National Wildlife Refuge.
>>>
>>> Desired outcome: Prevent the road from being built.
>>>

>>> Izembek National Wildlife Refuge, one of Alaskaıs oldest refuges, is the
>>> principal fall staging area for essentially 100% of the Pacific Black Brant
>>> population. The area is also a vital staging area for Emperor Geese, which
>>> winter to the west on the Alaska Peninsula and Aleutian Islands and breed
>>> almost exclusively to the north on the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge.
>>> Izembek lagoon provides lush eelgrass beds that allow the brant to
>>> accumulate huge amounts of body fat (nearly doubling their weight) necessary
>>> to enable the birds to survive the 60+ hour direct flight to overwintering
>>> areas principally in the bays of the Pacific coast of Baja and mainland
>>> Mexico. Most of the historic wintering areas on the west coast of the Lower
>>> 48 states have been destroyed or dramatically reduced by dredging and other
>>> development.
>>>

>>> Never since the passage of the Wilderness Act in 1964 has a designated
>>> Wilderness Area been compromised for the purpose of road construction. A
>>> federal Judge ruled in 2015 in favor of the Department of Interiorıs
>>> decision to deny permission for construction of the road. The US House of
>>> Representatives recently passed legislation that would open the area to road
>>> construction. This bill sets a very dangerous precedent by potentially
>>> opening the door to road construction in Wilderness Areas nationwide. The
>>> bill now goes to the Senate where we will have our final chance to defeat
>>> it. Please contact your US Senators and encourage them to protect the
>>> Refuge.
>>>

>>> Read more at the following site:
>>>

>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__l.facebook.com_l.php-3Fu-3Dhttp-253A-252F-252Fbit.ly-252F2vyb6jU-26h-3DATMupmgV-2Dv-5FgK&d=DwIFAw&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=ii2veGVuJ2MveDwgjjKq1xSH3cWxVF7-3g20OA2tV6Y&s=XTT6oKttxXA2uqU5Ao_qb8R49ZgBgyTAC4KP4GGhtRk&e=
>>> 4pynARMjWZyRCHtlXoqa7HSyzJ7Eavxean6O-cr04HohyVXHZ_oF7nxNLuA34P3lHvMs55XcmyuW
>>> sxwFL30mx32Pkg_QoLMSrT5MESKygZxJ5oqNn1lyGzfHnR37nhUVShgv23woUDpVuyhOmuUCZtb0
>>> MhUtBu8GzaUXLsOStYb3xPBORlIrV6NCdt30E7sS2WX4NTdCTOG99wIOm0DyrRNOAMCSHnLUVn1w
>>> DC28--kUtg
>>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__l.facebook.com_l.php-3>>> Fu-3Dhttp-253A-252F-252Fbit.ly-252F2vyb6jU-26h-3DATMupmgV-2Dv-5FgK4pynARMjWZ
>>> yRCHtlXoqa7HSyzJ7Eavxean6O-2Dcr04HohyVXHZ-5FoF7nxNLuA34P3lHvMs55XcmyuWsxwFL3
>>> 0mx32Pkg-5FQoLMSrT5MESKygZxJ5oqNn1lyGzfHnR37nhUVShgv23woUDpVuyhOmuUCZtb0MhUt

Join us on Facebook!