Date: 8/24/17 7:56 pm
From: Jacob Washburn <jacobwdu...> [cobirders] <cobirders-noreply...>
Subject: [cobirders] First Creek Denver & Adams Counties
Hello birders,

A hike along the First Creek Trail was interesting this afternoon.

First a hike down the western side of the trail where the fence has been taken down. I saw no signs saying no trespassing.

Over a dozen Western Kingbirds were getting insects. A Northern Waterthrush was along the creek. Location was about halfway between the spot where a lone tree is north of the tree line and the western end of the tree line.

While looking at the Waterthrush, I saw a Northern Mockingbird fly out and land on the stalks (miner's candles?).

A male Belted Kingfisher hunted over the pond at the new fence line where the trail turns north. A Western Wood pewee was catching insects here.

On the way back, I saw a pair of Blue Grosbeaks at Buckley Road and First Creek. They were also in Adams County.

Then I walked the Denver County (east) side of the First Trail. Hundreds of Red wings were over the cattails. Another female Blue Grosbeak was in the trees north of the horse corrals.

Hawks included two immature Red tails in Denver County and two Swainson's in Adams County. A Prairie Falcon was on the telephone poles along Buckley, Adams County side.

Good birding!

Jacob Washburn
Near DU

Join us on Facebook!