Date: 8/24/17 6:53 pm
From: Kyle Wilmarth <kyle.wilmarth...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Little Blue Heron, World End Pond
While sitting on the east side of the pond at dusk with eyes to the sky
counting nighthawks (16), we were excited to see the pond's first 'great
egret' of the year flying by in the distance heading east, which they
sometimes do this time of year....or so we thought.

As it approached closer, something didn't feel right and gave the
impression of a smaller bird and thought perhaps a Snowy? When it passed by
even closer, the bird clearly showed dark in the wingtips — Little Blue
Heron! I snapped a few distant photos and then watched it as it flew over
into Massachusetts.

Checklist with photo
https://ebird.org/ebird/nh/view/checklist/S38799106

Our first sighting for the pond and for Salem.

Amanda Altena & Kyle WIlmarth
Plaistow, NH