Date: 8/24/17 5:59 pm
From: John Grego <jrgrego...>
Subject: Tagged Piping Plover info from Harbor Island
My family and I spent the first week of August at Harbor Island near the Johnson Creek inlet. I reported 14 Piping Plover tags to Melissa Chaplin of US Fish & Wildlife Service and she shared them with other researchers. I thought I was taking good notes, but apparently flubbed a couple of the tags or I would have had more definitive IDs from the researchers. The feedback from researchers is likely routine for coastal birders, but it was exciting to me.

2015 banding (hatch year) on Harbor Island
2012 banding (the first Piping Plover Melissa ever banded) on Harbor Island. Nests on Rockaway Beach in Queens NY
2015 banding (adult) on Harbor Island
2013 banding (hatch year) on Harbor Island
2014 banding (hatch year) at Gulliver MI; nests near Sleeping Bear Point at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. May have had a second bird that nests at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, but that was one of my mistakes.
2014 banding (adult) on the Missouri River near Yankton, South Dakota.
2013 banding (adult) on Harbor Island. Nests at Napeague State Park on Long Island NY.
2014 banding (adult) at Kouchibouguac National Park in New Brunswick. Has only been observed at Kouchibouguac and Harbor Island.

I also saw two Common Tern with silver bands.

John Grego
Columbia SC

Join us on Facebook!