Date: 8/24/17 5:56 pm
From: jcdlmartin via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wicomico Shorebirds, 8/24
There were a LOT of shorebirds today at the turf farm on Log Cabin Road near Salisbury. This was at the more northerly field where there is still much standing water. I would estimate perhaps 150 birds, but they were hard to count as they moved through the grasses and flew often. Despite spending a good bit of time I couldn't pull out any real goodies, but it's worth checking over the next few days. Species identified (numbers apprx.) were:

Killdeer - 4
Greater Yellowlegs - 10
Lesser Yellowlegs - 30
Solitary Sandpiper - 3
Pectoral Sandpiper - 20
Least Sandpiper - 90
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 5

No grasspipers were seen, but the turf was being mowed which didn't help. Other sites checked (Hampshire Road, Taylor Road, Jersey Road and Levon Dashiel Road) had few or no birds or were being mowed.

Joel Martin
Chincoteague VA

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail