Date: 8/24/17 4:50 pm
From: Stu Daniels <studaniels...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Chatham mini-Pelagic
As the only Birders I've seen on North Beach, Chatham, for just shy of 2
weeks, we've been wondering why there have been SO many Shearwaters (mostly
Greater & Sooty, but I don't consider myself "checked out" on Shearwaters.)
that we never noticed on the ocean side of South Beach in years past? Many
are naked-eye close. No need for a scope.
Unlike South Beach, the draw of North Beach is the ocean beach, not the
birding. On favorable wind days, we've seen good numbers of Black-bellied
Plovers and Tree Swallows staging, but the mudflat is minimal so there
isn't a lot of feeding. There are far fewer species on North Beach. I never
thought it was possible to spend 2 weeks on a Cape Cod barrier beach/island
and not see or hear 1 Willet?

Stu Daniels
Chatham
<studaniels...>