Date: 8/24/17 1:36 pm
From: Don Simonson <don.r.simonson...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Eclipse Birds - Chimney Swifts Darnestown Mont Co
On August 21, as the eclipse neared its darkest point, I noticed a dozen Chimney Swifts swooping low over our yard, twittering very excitedly. As it got darker, the swifts began perching (!) in the tallest bare branches of a tall pin cherry tree, and their numbers increased. At the darkest point, my wife Marcia and I counted 25 swifts. This is the highest number recorded ever in our yard. as the light increased, the swifts vanished. I dont think I had ever seen any number of swifts perching on branches- didnt know they could do that!
I surmise they were migrating, or just out hunting, when the eclipse darkness caught them by surprise and they set down at "first dark" when unable to reach their preferred chimney.
good birding
Don simonson
Darnestown MD