Date: 8/24/17 12:08 pm
From: Tom SHANE <tom.shane...>
Subject: Eclipse and Harriers
After numerous negative reports we decided to head for Concordia, MO instead of going up to North Platte, NE to observe the total eclipse. We observed the eclipse from my cousins yard.

Wow........ what an amazing two minutes. Besides the beautiful eclipse I got to see planet Mercury (with binoculars) which was a little left of the moon during totality. We heard one Cicada singing and I saw one CONI fly over about two minutes after totality. Unrelated, we got to see a Concordia Oak, a tree discovered in 1974.

On the return home Tuesday, 22 August, we saw 5 Northern Harriers between Great Bend and Garden City. During the trip east on Sunday we observed none. A person might think the eclipse started an early push southward; however, the drought in the northern plains would be the most plausible reason, if one is needed.

We had our first Calliope Hummingbird on Wednesday. I'm afraid it is going to be a below average hummer migration this year.

Good birdwatching,

Tom Shane
Garden City

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html