Date: 8/24/17 12:05 pm
From: Teresa Lyle <teresalyle...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Atlanta Audubon Field Trips for Saturday, August 26, 2017
Field Trip: Cochran Shoals (Interstate North)
Saturday 8/26 7:30AM
Cochran Shoals CRNRA (Cobb County)
Leader: Nathan Farnau
Cell contact morning of walk: 404.849.3843

Birding Focus: We'll be looking mainly for migrant songbirds including, flycatchers, vireos, thrushes, and warblers. We will be on the main path early in the walk, so feel free to catch up with us there if you arrive after the start time. Duration of walk 4-5 hours, but you may leave early at any time. Restrooms are available. Wear comfortable, waterproof footwear for walking on wet grass if desired; some areas may be muddy if it has recently rained. This walk is suitable for adults and children over 14 years of age. Please do not bring your dog.

Parking: Meet at the trailhead near the fee machine at back of South parking lot. There is a daily parking fee of $3 (or $25 annual pass). Bring cash for $3 fee. Alternatively, you can purchase the $25 annual pass with a credit card at the automated machine on site or online. Google these coordinates for a map or program your GPS: N 33 54.105 W 84 26.634.

Directions: Going west on I-285, take Exit #22, turning right at the first light onto Interstate N Pkwy. Stay in the middle lane of this road and go straight through the next traffic light. After the road crosses the river, make an immediate right into the parking lot marked by "Cochran Shoals Unit." Going east on I-285, take Exit #22 and stay in the left lane of the exit ramp. Go to the second light, then turn left. Stay in the middle lane of this road as it crosses the bridge over I-285 and veer to the right to get into the middle lane as the road bends to the left and passes through a traffic light. At this point you are going west on Interstate N Pkwy. Continue with instructions above.

Field Trip: Atlanta History Center
Saturday 8/26 8:30AM
Atlanta History Center
Leader: Rob McDonough
Cell contact, morning of walk: 404.754.8159

Birding Focus: We will be looking for early migrants and resident birds such as warblers, woodpeckers, raptors, flycatchers, sparrows, finches, and other passerines. The grounds of the Atlanta History Center (AHC) are an interesting mix of natural and created landscapes. There are six different designated garden areas. Recently, the gardens have been collectively named the Olga C. de Goizueta Gardens. Two of the individual areas, the Swan House Gardens and the Smith Family Farm Gardens, are designed to complement the historic interpretation of the buildings they surround. The Swan House is a 1920s Italianate mansion; as such the landscape around it consists predominately of formal elements such as a walled boxwood garden and a cascading fountain. The Smith House, on the other hand, is an antebellum farmhouse of the "Plantation Plain" style. Accordingly, the surrounding landscape consists of a small flower yard, vegetable gardens, and an area for field crops. It is a particularly good place to see Eastern Bluebirds.

This bird walk is recommended for beginner birders and families with children over 10. Please note that no dogs or strollers are allowed. The walk will cover 2-3 miles of mild hiking terrain. Hiking shoes, insect repellant, sunscreen, and water are recommended; bring binoculars.

Directions and Parking: Program your GPS or Google these coordinates for a map: 3350'33.3"N 8423'09.4"W.
From I-75 S, take Exit 255 (West Paces Ferry Rd.). At the end of the exit ramp, turn left onto West Paces Ferry Rd. Go approximately 2.7 miles. The AHC will be on your right.

From I-75 N or downtown, take the West Paces Ferry Rd (Exit 255). At the end of the exit ramp, turn left onto Northside Pkwy. At the next light, turn right onto West Paces Ferry Rd. Go approximately 2.7 miles. The AHC will be on your right.

From I-85 S, take Exit 88 (Cheshire Bridge/Lenox Rd.). At the end of the exit ramp, turn right onto Lenox Rd. Go approximately 1.9 miles until Lenox intersects with Peachtree Rd. (landmark: Lenox Square Mall). Turn left onto Peachtree Rd. Go approximately 2 miles. At the intersection of Peachtree, Roswell and West Paces Ferry Rds., turn right onto West Paces Ferry Rd. Go through two traffic lights. The AHC will be on your left.

Please park in the deck. We will meet at the entrance to McElreath Hall. This is the building housing the Cherokee Garden Library and the Kenan Research Center; it is located south of the parking deck.

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>