Date: 8/24/17 9:38 am
Subject: Re: Important conservation issues
Russ,

Thank you for these details. I want to take action, but I don't have time
to dig deep into the issues or figure out the process from scratch, as I am
committed to other efforts. Would it be possible for you to advise, or can
someone you know advise, on specific actions to be taken when the time is
right? I would be extremely grateful and ready to call or submit comments
if I could know 1) what to say (very briefly) 2) when to say it, and 3)
who to say it to.

Betsy Kane
Raleigh

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Russ Oates <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> [...]
>>> 1.255 million acres of National Forest could be transferred to the state.
>>> This legislation would also permit mining in the “former” national forests.
>>>

>>> AMHT, sponsored by Senator Lisa Murkowski, has been developed in the
>>> Senate to the point that it can be added as a rider to another, more urgent
>>> bill. The bill is intended to allow the transfer of old growth acreage
>>> to private (Alaska Native) corporations in exchange for their
>>> corporate-owned logged-over areas. This will facilitate the rapid
>>> destruction of the magnificent old growth trees, some of which are more
>>> than 1,000 years old.
>>>

>>> The Alaska congressional delegation has, for decades, done everything in
>>> their power to open up the remaining old growth trees of the magnificent
>>> Tongass National Forest to logging. Only 3% of the Tongass is old growth,
>>> so we must act now to save it.
>>>

>>> 6) *Issue:* Building a road to the village of King Cove through the
>>> Designated Wilderness portion of Izembek National Wildlife Refuge.
>>>
>>> *Desired outcome*: Prevent the road from being built.
>>>

>>> Izembek National Wildlife Refuge, one of Alaska’s oldest refuges, is the
>>> principal fall staging area for essentially 100% of the Pacific Black Brant
>>> population. The area is also a vital staging area for Emperor Geese,
>>> which winter to the west on the Alaska Peninsula and Aleutian Islands and
>>> breed almost exclusively to the north on the Yukon Delta National Wildlife
>>> Refuge. Izembek lagoon provides lush eelgrass beds that allow the
>>> brant to accumulate huge amounts of body fat (nearly doubling their weight)
>>> necessary to enable the birds to survive the 60+ hour direct flight to
>>> overwintering areas principally in the bays of the Pacific coast of Baja
>>> and mainland Mexico. Most of the historic wintering areas on the west coast
>>> of the Lower 48 states have been destroyed or dramatically reduced by
>>> dredging and other development.
>>>

>>> Never since the passage of the Wilderness Act in 1964 has a designated
>>> Wilderness Area been compromised for the purpose of road construction. A
>>> federal Judge ruled in 2015 in favor of the Department of Interior’s
>>> decision to deny permission for construction of the road. The US House
>>> of Representatives recently passed legislation that would open the area to
>>> road construction. This bill sets a very dangerous precedent by
>>> potentially opening the door to road construction in Wilderness Areas
>>> nationwide. *The bill now goes to the Senate where we will have our
>>> final chance to defeat it.* Please contact your US Senators and
>>> encourage them to protect the Refuge.
>>>

>>> Read more at the following site:
>>>
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__l.facebook.com_l.php-3Fu-3Dhttp-253A-252F-252Fbit.ly-252F2vyb6j&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=wkjuZyyJ2djWtzFEe7kqA751LXlCcAJvgAhdbIpIrqk&s=kjGMGHKjpV7zwjYDqF_KPgsUZOzYGRoyVahU63gjeCk&e=
>>> U&h=ATMupmgV-v_gK4pynARMjWZyRCHtlXoqa7HSyzJ7Eavxean6O-cr04Ho
>>> hyVXHZ_oF7nxNLuA34P3lHvMs55XcmyuWsxwFL30mx32Pkg_QoLMSrT5MESK
>>> ygZxJ5oqNn1lyGzfHnR37nhUVShgv23woUDpVuyhOmuUCZtb0MhUtBu8GzaU
>>> XLsOStYb3xPBORlIrV6NCdt30E7sS2WX4NTdCTOG99wIOm0DyrRNOAMCSHnL

Join us on Facebook!