Date: 8/24/17 8:19 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Poplar Island 8/23/2017
Yesterday's census at Poplar Island was, quite simply, one of the most productive days I've ever had there. Shorebird diversity was outstanding. Though there were many highlights, three species stuck out as obvious favorites:

- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (a juvenile in the Cell 1A barges, and my personal first in the county)
- Buff-breasted Sandpiper (2 in Cell 5AB)
- Marbled Godwit (Cell 1A mudflat)

Also very high on the list were three Red Knots. It's been a good year for them onsite.

I was excited to find an American Golden-Plover and a Baird's Sandpiper in Cell 2B. I wasn't expecting to see either of these until September.

Other notables included Tricolored Heron, lots of Black-necked Stilts and American Avocets, Western and White-rumped Sandpipers, Wilson's and Red-necked Phalaropes, and 11 Black Terns.

I'm still reviewing dowitcher photos because I think I had at least one, and maybe as many as three Long-billed Dowitchers, but they are one of the trickier IDs. I want to be sure before I eBird them.

Two Common Gallinules called back in Cell 1A and I saw an adult Virginia Rail leading a chick across the Cell 1A mudflat.

Blue-winged Teal and Northern Shovelers are back in good numbers and I also saw two Green-winged Teal.

Good luck to the birding tour onsite today!

eBird checklist with photos: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38796819

Tim Carney
Parkville/Towson, MD