Date: 8/24/17 7:26 am
From: Steve Johnson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] first migrants at Manassas Battlefield, and 2 breeding confirmations

Hello birders,

I saw my FOS wave of migrants this morning, at the NY Monuments section of Manassas National Battlefield Park (Prince William County). The migrants consisted of Redstart, Chestnut-sided, and Black-and-white Warblers.

And two extremely late breeding bird confirmations, possible only because of the very fresh fledged appearance of these two: Titmouse and Bluebird. The Titmouse had a very short tail, lots of residual down feathers around its back and sides, and followed an adult around, begging. The Bluebird was all alone, also quite downy, all gray except for blue on the tail. It made several short, awkward, uncertain flights along the ground, never higher than 2 feet. Looked to be only 1-2 days out of the nest.

Steve Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia
stevejohnson2 (at) verizon (dot) net