Date: 8/23/17 7:18 pm
From: <p.bertoncini...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET American Kestrels in Chicago Austin neighborhood
Early this evening, while we were harvesting tomatoes from our Root-Riot Harambee community garden plot, I noticed a quick stoop by a small raptor as it attacked a fairly large rabbit. The rabbit easily fended off the attack. I followed the flight of the raptor back to a dead tree. Over the next fifteen minutes we watched as it moved to various perches and I identified it as an American Kestrel. It repeatedly pounced on small prey, probably grasshoppers. It was joined by two other Kestrels while we observed their activity.
Pete Bertoncini, W. Race St. and N. Waller Ave., Austin neighborhood of Chicago.

Join us on Facebook!