Date: 8/23/17 5:52 pm
From: Kojo Baidoo <baidookojo6...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Another great yard bird - Olive-sided Flycatcher!!!
Well, I've just been having an amazing day. I decided to see if I could relocate the Cerulean Warbler from this morning, and while I had no luck with that, I soon noticed a compact, fairly large flycatcher perched at the very top of a tall tree. For some reason, I assumed it was a kingbird at first, but they're quite vocal and this bird was quiet, and something just seemed very off about that I.D. I took a picture and zoomed in, and quickly noticed a very clear vest. The bird would sally out to catch flies, and that's when it became very apparent that it was larger, darker, and generally more compact than a pewee. Something that was also quite interesting was the fact that whenever it flew out, an actual pewee would chase it, and then when it returned to a perch the smaller flycatcher would follow it and perch lower, emitting distressed notes. The Olive-sided perched on the tallest branch every time it moved, as well. Two Common Nighthawks were also nice, and my FOS.

Two eBird rarities in one day, so amazing! Hoping and hoping that this sets the tone for the rest of the season.

Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38789930

Good Birding,

Kojo Baidoo
Reisterstown, MD