Date: 8/23/17 5:52 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Hits & Misses In N.E. Lake County But Mostly Misses Wed 8-23-17
Hello Bird People,

When You're Hot You're Hot & When You're Not You're Not!

I guess I had a fairly good day today although I missed several
special birds that others had at the same places I went to but at
different times. I started at Waukegan Beach, then to Illinois Beach
South Unit, back to Waukegan & then to State Line Beach. On the way
home I made another stop at Techny Basin North to add more shorebird
species.

First here's a list of all the birds others saw but I missed due to
not being at the right spot at the right time. As I arrived at
Illinois Beach I saw Steve M & Andy Stewart leaving & their best
sighting was of 2 Ruddy Turnstones actually flipping stones! But I
walked the entire beach & found no Turnstones.
Then at the mouth of the Dead River Paul Sweet arrived to say he had
just had an EARED GREBE off the fisherman's pier as well as 2 Black
Bellied Plovers on the north beach. This was about 1 hour after I left
there. Hurried back to Waukegan but along with the McClellan's, Andy
Stewart & Scott L we did not find either species. To add insult to
injury Scott said a Baird's Sandpiper had just been on the pier but it
was gone as well. The worst miss was by far the Eared Grebe which I
don't see every year in Illinois. So near & yet so far!

But I did manage to see a few special species after all.

Waukegan Beach, Pier & Backwaters (6:30-7:45 a.m.)

Shorebirds on the pier were Spotted (1-AD) & Semipalmated (3)
Sandpipers & Sanderling (1)
By the backwater inlet was 1 Pectoral Sandpiper. On the swimming beach
with the regular Gulls was 1 juvenile BONAPARTE'S GULL. But later the
Gull concentration became the target for a fast flying
PEREGRINE which flushed all the Gulls. Also one Caspian Tern flew by.
On the pier & towers by Greenwood were about 250 D.C. Cormorants. On
my failed Grebe visit a MERLIN flew by.

Illinois Beach South Unit (8:15-9:45 a.m.)

The pile up of water at the mouth of the Dead River is gone as the
river has broken through sending all the beach water into the lake.
But the former "pond" area still has a mud base & the shorebirds seem
to like it even with the water gone or will like it until everything
dries up.

In the mud & on the beach were Semipalmated Plover (3), Killdeer (2),
Solitary (1) & Spotted (2) Sandpipers, Sanderling (4), Least (4) &
Semipalmated (8) Sandpipers. Also on the beach were Horned Lake
(1-JUV) & Brewer's Blackbird, a young one that's been hanging around.

State Line Beach (12:05-12:25 p.m.)

Two Cormorants few by & 2 Sandhill Cranes were calling to the west of the beach.
On the beach were Semipalmated Plover (1), Ring Billed (42) & Herring
(3) Gulls &
1 Caspian Tern. (It's getting harder to find Caspians in the last week or so.)

Techny Basin North (1:20-2:30 p.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (3), Great Blues (5) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Geese (44), Mallard (~10) & Wood Duck (~20)
Killdeer (41), Greater (1) & Lesser (3) Yellowlegs
Least (22), Semipalmated (9), Solitary (7), Spotted (5) & Pectoral (5)
Sandpipers
Finally found 1 of the 2 Wilson's Snipe that have been here lately &
also a very had to I.D. large Plover. Hard to I.D. as it was a
"molting mess". First I thought it was Black Bellied but then changed
my mind based on the smaller bill, sort of a red cap & black mottling
on the chest, belly
& under tail coverts. This pointed to Golden Plover but I like
positive I.D.'s if possible which meant that for the next 20 min solid
I never took my eyes off the Plover until it finally started preening
which included a few second look at uplifted wings. No black "arm
pits/wing pits" so it was a for sure AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER.

Had 12 species of shorebirds & missed 2 more so I could have had a
really good total but no use crying over missed shorebirds!
Bird-Of-The-Day to the American Golden Plover which I had to work hard to I.D.
Runners-Up to the Falcon duo the Peregrine & the Merlin & the young
Bonaparte's Gull.

Al Stokie
Making the best of it in Lake & Cook Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: