Date: 8/23/17 3:34 pm
From: Warren Tatro <wtatro...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Drones at Parker River NWR
Hello Massbirders,

Call me old fashioned, but I really don’t see the need for the general public to own and play with drones. I was birding this afternoon at Parker River NWR at the Stage Island Pool, at high tide, with a decent amount of shorebirds feeding and resting in the area. All of a sudden, just as I was getting on what I thought was one of the Baird’s Sandpipers along the near shore, a drone buzzes the birds and they all fly off. Hundreds of birds scared into the air as if a Peregrine Falcon was coming by. The culprits were 2 guys parked in lot 6 and they launched the drone from there. Either common sense is long gone or people just don’t care. A wildlife refuge? Are you kidding me?

As my bad luck would have it, they parked right next to my car with my wife inside waiting for me. I stated my displeasure but was leery of making a big scene. I reported the incident to the main headquarters on my way out.

Warren Tatro
Peabody, MA
<wtatro...>

Join us on Facebook!